From the experts at Hampton Nursery
As we journey through the peak of summer, our gardens are a riot of color, enchanting scents, and the lively buzz of hardworking pollinators. The commitment and diligence we’ve applied since spring have manifested into a lush, thriving garden. While July is a time to take pleasure in the blossoming beauty, it’s also a time to address certain crucial tasks to sustain our garden’s vitality and appeal through the remainder of the season. Here at Hampton Nursery, we’ve curated a list of essential mid-summer gardening tasks.
1. Focus on Hydration Summers can bring sweltering heat, rendering proper watering indispensable. Watering your plants in the early morning reduces evaporation and helps prevent disease spread. Contemplate utilizing a drip irrigation system for an effective and water-saving approach to maintaining your plants’ hydration.
2. Control Weeds Ample sunlight and consistent watering can lead to a quick spread of weeds if not managed. Regular hoeing and hand-weeding prevent them from seeding and taking over your garden. A hearty layer of mulch can aid in suppressing weed growth and in keeping plant roots cool.
3. Care for Your Summer-Flowering Shrubs Post-bloom, your summer-flowering shrubs, such as hydrangeas and spireas, benefit from a good pruning. This promotes healthy growth and guarantees an abundant flower display in the upcoming year.
4. Deadhead Flowers Consistently Regular removal of spent blooms from your flowers not only maintains your garden’s neat appearance but also encourages the plant to direct its energy towards more bloom production rather than seed development.
5. Harvest Often If you’re cultivating fruits and vegetables, remember that frequent harvesting keeps plants productive. From beans to zucchinis, berries to tomatoes, be sure to pick your produce as soon as it’s ripe to encourage further growth.
6. Watch for Pests and Diseases Stay alert for pests and diseases. From Japanese beetles to powdery mildew, summer pests and diseases can quickly become problematic. Opt for environmentally friendly solutions when possible, and remember, a healthy plant is the best deterrent against pests and diseases.
7. Prepare for Fall It might seem early, but July is an opportune time to begin your fall garden planning. Start ordering your fall bulbs and seeds, and consider sowing fall crops such as kale and cabbage towards the month’s end.
8. Nourish Your Plants As your plants are in a phase of rapid growth, they consume a significant amount of nutrients. Support them by applying a slow-release granular fertilizer or providing regular liquid feedings.
9. Savor Your Garden Make sure to take moments to appreciate the beauty of your garden. Whether it’s enjoying a refreshing drink in the shade, hosting a barbecue, or simply taking a leisure stroll among your plants, remember that the joy of gardening is just as important as the work.
The team at Hampton Nursery is always available to assist with your gardening needs. Whether it’s tools, plants, or expert advice you seek, we’re eager to help your July garden prosper. Here’s to the joy of July and the thrill of summer gardening in your own sanctuary!